Re: What does the "Matthews" in William Matthews Cooley mean?

From: David Johnson <paladin46077_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 03:56:37 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, this is a "non-Cooley" thought, but it helped me track down a generation or two or three of Tanner - Olneys.  In her recollections one of the Olney women recalled that all of the middle names were the family names of friends and relatives.  These Matthews could be married into the line.  Other than that, it really is beyond my reach. ________________________________ From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com> To: John Cooley Mailing List <undisclosed.recipients_at_johncooley.net> Sent: Friday, September 23, 2011 1:55 AM Subject: What does the "Matthews" in William Matthews Cooley mean? William had a grandson named William Mathis Cooley. Descendants are found in James's line (William's possible brother) as Mathias. These three names, Matthews, Mathias and Mathis are the same name. (Changes like this in spelling and pronunciation are not uncommon.) Those of us trying to figure out who John was married to have considered the names of sons Rice Cooley and Perrin Cooley as possible clues. But no avail. So here's a bug in your ear: There was a Matthews family in Surry county in the late 19th century and at least one Matthews family in Caroline county VA, where John Cooley served with his life long "associate" Richard Goode in 1755 (Capt Spotswood's company). That's all that I have! I've found very little on these families, but it is certainly something worth exploring. Has anyone gone down this path? BTW, it's interesting that William used the middle name Matthews in NC, dropped it entirely in KY and then used only M in TN. In those days, when middle names were uncommon, people would sometimes adopt them, usually just a middle initial, to distinguish themselves from others of the same name. We know that there was another William Cooley in the Yadkin Valley (Boone's companion), so William may have need to not be confused with this man. He could have come up with Matthews for any number of reasons. A more modern example of this is Harry Truman who was born without a middle name. He simply adopted the es (a good 2-letter Scrabble word, by the way). -Michael -- <a href="http://newsummer.com/distlist">distlist 0.9</a> See http://ancestraldata.com/listarchive/johncooleylist/ for list information.