[List] Cooley-Brewer Cemetery...and more

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Sun Oct 7 23:29:09 PDT 2007

Drew Wright of Indiana has just sent photos of the Cooley Meeting House
Cemetery near Salem where Edward Cooley (1763-1822, son of John) and his wife
Martha Raper were buried. I've uploaded them to this page:

http://ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/128/cooleycemetery.html

Sorry I've been so silent lately. There's been a lot going on to distract me.
Now is a good opportunity, though, to provide an update as to the website, etc.

I moved ancestraldata.com, and the John Cooley website, to another provider a
couple of months ago. That seemed to go smoothly enough. I will also move
johncooley.net, which this list is run through, to the same provider by the
end of the month. It will be the last move of my services from the old
provider for the reason of a couple of unique challenges. There is always the
chance that something can go wrong so please notify me if you feel that
something isn't just right. I will send a heads-up just prior to the move.

And I'm moving newsummer.com tonight. That means my personal website and email
address could have a short period of being down. If email to me during the
next couple of days bounces back, jut resend it the following day or two.

And remember, if you have anything new to add, let us hear from you! And don't
forget we're trying to find other Cooleys in our line to test. So far, we have
one Edward descendant tested (myself), one James descendant tested (Don
Cooley) and test results from one Joseph descendant (Mike Cooley of Grants
Pass). Although the traditional "family group sheet" seems to be reasonably
accurate, no sources were ever included (not to mention the name of the person
who originally put it together--if any one person was responsible). Every
self-respecting genealogists knows that that just can't sit. However, it's
entirely possible that any primary evidence that existed, say 100 years ago,
has simply been lost forever. Genetic genealogy may be our only true resource
and, so far, it's worked marvelously.

Well, I didn't mean to go on like this but since I'm on the subject, it's also
possible to genetically prove the 2 daughters of John's, traditionally
believed to have been Hanna (Joanna?), born 1774 and married to Luke
Barnett/Burnett, and Elizabeth, born 1783 and married to William Blackburn.
Actually, through mtDNA, as opposed to the yDNA we've talked about, the proof
would be to John's wife, whoever she was. In this case, we'd have to find an
unbroken lineage of daughters rather than sons. The difficulty here, though,
is that virtually nothing is known about the daughters--and there is no proof
that they even married who the traditionally genealogy says they married. But
finding them is, to my mind, as important as finding proof for any of the sons.

Interestingly, a William Blackburn appears on the 1810 census for Casey
county, KY with three young females under the age of ten. This suggests to me
that the Blackburns may have gone to KY along with John Cooley. It's also
interesting that William and Elizabeth may have had daughters but, by 1810
anyway, no sons. It's probably for that reason that family has never been
found: it's much more difficult tracing matrilineally because of the name
change in every generation.

Also of interest (I think) is that William Blackburn may have been the son of
Newman Blackburn of Stokes county NC. The Blackburns came from Caroline county
VA, as did other Stokes county families associated with our John Cooley,
including Richard Goode, with whom John probably served in 1755, and Martha
Raper, Edward Cooley's wife. This dovetails nicely with my pet theory that
John Cooley may have lived for some years in Caroline County and might have,
in fact, emigrated to NC with several of the families.

I'd love to hear from anyone who has further information about John's
daughters--especially why it is that the traditional genealogy includes their
dates of marriage. Who along the line knew those dates and how? Of course,
it's possible that those marriages are not much more than fiction you often
see in unsourced genealogies.