[List] William "Chooley"

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Fri May 18 11:25:19 PDT 2007

Thanks, Sandy.

Doing a census-wide index search on Chorley shows a lot of that name from
England. It looks like a legit name. However, looking at the entry for Rubin
and comparing it against the other R's on the page I'd say that it was
definitely intended to be written as Chooley. But how odd is that? Two
Chooleys on the same census would suggest it wasn't an error--I mean in the
sense that the writer really may have believed the name would be spelled that
way.  Could he have thought it was pronounced Khooley--a silent H. I certainly
wouldn't understand the reasoning for that, though. I'd think our best chance
of knowing for sure would be to look at a platt map, if one existed. The only
other name on that page that I recognise as possibly being even remotely
associated with the Cooleys is "Roler". Nevertheless, for the record, here's
how I read this entry:

Ruben Chooley 1 1 0 0 0 1   0 1 0 0 1

-Michael

On Fri, 18 May 2007 07:00:02 -0700 (PDT), Sandra Stanton wrote