[List] William "Chooley"

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Thu May 17 20:01:39 PDT 2007

In going over the list archive, I found this from Sandy Stanton:

--quote--
There are a couple of possibilities for Reuben Cooley
in the 1820 census.

1. Reubin Chooley/Charley in Washington Co, KY on the
1820 census. However it gives his age as 45 and up.
But the Reubin Cooley we are looking for would have
been 41.  Of course someone could have given the age
wrong.

2. Reubin Cooly on the 1820 census for Lawrence Co,
IN. Lawrence county is not far from Bartholomew county
and the Ky border is a few counties away. The way
these Cooleys moved around do you think he
[Reuben]could have left for a few years and then went
back to Ky?

Also, there is a William Charley/Chooley on the
Washington county, KY census for 1820. I don't
remember but have we lost a William Cooley at that
time?  The two names following William Chooley are
Susan Salley and then Nancy Salley. Since there are
Salleys marrying into the Cooley families this might
need to be further searched.
--endquote--

First, I did a search for Chooley on HQ's census index. Perhaps there's a
couple of missing Cooleys here:

CHOOLEY ADDIE C 51 F W IN IN ELKHART 5-WD; ELKHART; CONCORD TWP 1920
CHOOLEY CLAIRE P 44 M W WI OR JACKSON 2-WD ASHLAND 1910
CHOOLEY KATHARINE 26 F W PA PA ADAMS MT PLEASANT TWP 1900
CHOOLEY SAMUEL S 63 M W OH CA LOS ANGELES LOS ANGELES 1920
CHOOLEY UNA 49 M W MO OR MULTNOMAH PORTLAND; 41-PCT 1920
CHOOLEY WM    KY WASHINGTON NO TWP LISTED 1820

Apparently, a William Cooley married Martha Salley. See this page:
http://www.pseudoprime.com/genealogy/i862.html

Here are my readings for William and his Salley neighbors in 1820:

Wm Chooley     2 0 0 1 1 0   2 0 1 0
Susan Salley   0 1 0 3 0 0   2 1 0 0 1  0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1
Nancy Salley   0 0 0 0 0 0   0 0 0 0 2  ? 2
Phillip Salley 3 1 0 0 1 0   0 2 0 1

The eldest male in William's household was 26-45 and the eldest female was
16-26. There seems little doubt that Nancy was the Salley matriarch.

Sandy, I'm not finding the 1820 listing for Reubin.