[List] 1850 census IA

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Sat Mar 3 13:40:18 PST 2007

At this point, not a great deal. According to his grandson, he served in the
Spanish American War. He had his son, James A Cooley, at the age of 66.
Charles (the grandson) said that Charles died in 1942 but the state archives
says he died in Putnam Co (MO) in April 1943 (certificate #18759).

Charles had a piece of tartan that was said to have passed down in the family.
It was given to his son James who was buried with it in the 1980s. But Charles
had a copy made a couple of years before his father's death. The story he
heard while growing up (his grandmother was still alive) was that the Cooleys
were Jacobites (adherents to the Stuart claim to the throne of England) and
that they may have taken part in the uprising of 1745 when Bonny Prince
Charles Edward Stuart returned from France and led a victorious army into
Edinburgh. Prince Charles then marched south with a force of 7,000 (mostly)
Scots before the political tide turned, forcing him to turn back and leading
to the devastating defeat at Culloden Moor.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Edward_Stuart and
http://www.hetzlersfakebook.com/NBCullodonmoor.html). Don Cooley's R1a1-2b Y
chromosome (see http://www.ancestraldata.com/ahnentafel/256/#notdutch), backed
up by my 24 tested markers, greatly supports a Scottish origin. Don has
gathered a lot of background historical context but we've been unable to make
the genealogical connection.

I've invited Charles to the list. Perhaps he will join and provide us with
some more info. For now, as we presently understand it, this would be his line:

John
Edward m Raper
Edward m Crider
James A m Tyler (thanks, Shirley!)
Charles m Bland
James
Charles

James Armstrong Cooley would have been first cousin to my David Cooley, who
first appears in Iowa in 1852 and died while a union soldier in 1865.

-Michael

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:37:03 -0500, Shirley Wilcox wrote