[List] The Howard County, MO Cooleys

michael@newsummer.com michael at newsummer.com
Sun Dec 31 17:44:23 PST 2006

Don Cooley recently forwarded the following to me. He and his cousin Sandy
Stanton are descended from James Cooley. Many of you probably know that James,
Joseph, Daniel, Perrin and possibly Rice Cooley left Kentucky for Missouri.
John and Reuben stayed in Kentucky and Edward went to Indiana, either directly
from Stokes County, NC or after a short stay first in Kentucky.

Most of this is probably not new to many of you but a lot of it I've never
seen before. Of course, many Cooley researchers (including Don, Sandy and I)
discount the Dutch descent.


---------- Forwarded Message -----------

*Letter received from Mary Godfrey: *

The following was found in a manuscript about Timothy Goode (Tink) Cooley
who is descended from James Cooley, brother of Joseph Cooley.

"Four Cooley brothers, James, Joseph, Daniel, Perrin and their families,
along with a number of other Kentuckians, made that trip from Kentucky to
Missouri the Spring of 1811.   The travelers shoved off early one morning
from their encampment along the Green River and began their long trip to the
new Western Land.   There were several dozen flat-boats, generally one to a
family but with some doubling up.

The flatboats had been built at the chosen spot for embarkation from
existing material close at hand.   A flat-boat was River transport reduced
to bare essentials:  a broad bottomed, boxlike structure, perhaps with a
little rake at the bow.   It was steered by a board fastened to a long pole,
and was steadied in the current by clumsy, carlike sweeps on each side,
called "Broadnorns."  It was built of green timber sawed from the forest
near the river and put together with wooden pins.   The roof might be gabled
or rounded.  The roof covered at least half, or as much as 2/3 of the boat.
The larger flatboats measured up to 20 by 100 feet and could carry heavy
loads.  The better boats were fancied up, with a pump to take care of
leakage, and a brick or stone fireplace with a chimney, for cooking and good

The Cooley flatboat was loaded with the provisions for the trip, family
personal effects and items that would be needed at journey's end.   One end
of the flatboat was an enclosed pen where several horses, a milk cow and
some hogs were kept.  James, his wife and the children, including a crib for
year old little Tink.   Also on board was a young male slave owned by James.
This Negro, called Sam, helped James and the 13 year old Mark to Steer the

The trip down the narrow Green River was for the most part uneventful and
except for keeping the awkward craft from collision with the driftwood
"rafts", the high water of the Spring run-off enabled them to make good
progress.   Every night camp was made at a chosen spot along the bank-all
the boats gathering together for mutual protection and congeniality.  There
was still some danger from a surprise Indian attack, and each night
different men of the party took turns keeping watch.

Along with the James Cooley family was three of his brothers and several
other families, including the Carson, Fugate, Brown, Richardson, Todd,
Young, McLane, Creason, Burckartt, and a number of others-counting wives,
children and slaves well over 300 persons started the long trip."..... "They
landed near the site of present day Golconda at an isolated trading post run
by a Frenchman.

Here, as they had hoped, the party was able to sell the flatboats to some
freighters on the Ohio and buy some extra horses for the trip overland.   After
several days spent in preparation and the lucky hiring of a Frenchman
returning to Cahokia as a guide, the travelers again struck out to make
their way across the huge peninsula that lay between the Ohio and their
destination of St. Louis.   The trip was a hard one as they had not horses
enough for all to ride and there being little or no semblance of a road, the
few wagons they had had a rough time going.   Skirting the edge of the
prairies along the highlands they made their way slowly, finally arriving at
Cahokia, just across the river and a bit South of St. Louis."....

"After a couple of days spent in replenishing supplies and conferring with
the fur trappers and traders about the country that lay ahead, the party
again took up their march one morning and arrived that evening on the
Missouri River bank opposite the village of St. Charles.   Crossing the
river in the morning, a new camp was made just south of the present city
center (about where the Interstate 70 bridge is).  Here, leaving the main
body in camp, a deputation of men, including Daniel Cooley was sent to
confer with *Daniel Boone* at his son's home some several miles up river of
St. Charles, MO. ...(can't read) encouraged them to continue on to Fort
Cooper.   He (it looks like the name is Clark) vividly described the country
to them, and spoke of the need to advance the settlement there.  Thus
encouraged, and more than ever determined to go on, they returned to the
main camp.

They again took up the march and advanced to Loutre Island, where an earlier
settlement had been made.   Staying there for awhile, the continued, and
after many days of hard travel through the timber and across the prairies
making their own road and either building temporary bridges or finding
fording places-- The party found themselves at their destination:  the
stockade fort that had been erected the previous year by Col. Benjamin
Cooper.   Here the weary travelers was hailed by the "old" pioneers of the
previous summer and after the barrage of questions--the first of which was
'any Indian trouble coming' - a celebration of welcome was begun, beginning
with a good feast of venison and culminating that evening with a dance of
the bare ground of the fort.   James Cooley, being but one of several fiddle
players, helped with the music.

The next day was given over to the serious business of planning the new
settlement, as it was decided that rather than all crowding together at
Cooper's Fort that the families disperse to three general locations so as to
better posses the territory and provide better opportunity to start crops.

Upon recommendation of Col. Cooper and with the consent of the majority of
the men, a site was chosen on the bluff about 1 1/2 miles North of the point
on the river where today is the Boonville Bridge.   Here they immediately
began the erection of a fort to be known as Fort McLaine (later changed to
Fort Hempstead) after the recognized leader of the group, William McLaine.
Another group erected Fort Kincaid about one mile South.

Each fort was a series of log houses, built together around an enclosure.   In
each house lived a family, and the stock was corralled, and the property of
the settlers secured at night in the enclosure.  There were smaller forts,
but these three:   Cooper, McLaine and Kincaid were the most important.  Soon
after the building of these forts, the men organized themselves into a
Military Company with Sharshall Cooper (son of Benj.) as captain.

Not only were the settlers and their families thus well provided with food
for themselves by nature, but also their animals were furnished with
everything necessary to their well being.   The range was so good during the
whole year, that the stock lived without being fed by their owners.  Even
when the ground was covered with snow, the animals, taught by instinct,
would in a few minutes paw from under the snow enough grass to last them all
day.   The stock did have to be protected from the numerous wolves.  In
fact, James Cooley's only two hogs that survived the trip were both devoured
by the wolves shortly after the arrival.   Their only use of corn, which
they plant very little, was to make bread, and bread made of corn was the
only kind they ever had.

It was well that they (pioneers of Howard County, Missouri) had diligently
prepared the fort as rapidly as they had --in the spring of 1812, the war
clouds which had hitherto given every indication of the coming storm, had at
length unfurled their black banners in every part of the sky.   Great
Britain had again 'loosed her dogs of war', and with gigantic strides was
attempting to trample against the American colonists, the hireling Hessian,
she now inspired the Indians to espouse her cause against the unprotected
whites, who were then dwelling upon the extreme frontier of the great West.
These hostile Indians began their work of death in the Spring of 1812, and
were mostly Sacs and Foxes, Kickapoos and some Pottawatomies.

Their first victims in the Boone's lick Country were Jonathan Todd and
Thomas Smith, who lived at McLaine Fort, but had gone down the river to hunt
a stray horse, which had escaped from the Fort.   While upon their errand
the Indians attacked them, on Thrail's Prairie, not far from the present
line between Howard and Boone Counties.  After a long struggle in which
several Indians were killed Todd and Smith were slain.   The Fox warriors,
after killing them, cut off their heads and cut out their hearts, and placed
them by the trailside on poles.

As soon as the news of the killing of Todd and Smith was brought to the
fort, a party of men, including James and Joseph Cooley, started out to get
their bodies.   After they had gone several miles, they captured an Indian
warrior, who seemed to be watching their movements, and started to take him
to the fort, in order to get information from him.   As they returned, after
finding the two bodies and when they were two miles of the fort, the Indian
prisoner suddenly broke away from them and attempted to escape.   They
chased him about 1/2 mile, when finding they could not overtake him, killing
instantly.  The word was spread to the other forts the melancholy news that
they were indeed on the verge of a long and bloody war.

In July, some Indians killed a man named Campbell about 5 miles NW of
present day Boonville.   Col. Benjamin Cooper and General Dodge, who had
recently arrived with a troop of regular soldiers, took a company of about
500 men, composed of the soldiers and the frontiersmen, and stated in
pursuit of the Indians.   The Indians, being surprised and not able to
recross the River, threw up breastworks in order to repel the attack of the
whites.  Then the troop of Cooper and Dodge appeared before the
entrenchments, the Indians, realizing how outnumbered they were, after some
parley, surrendered themselves as prisoners of War.

After the Indians had surrendered, Col. Cooper and Gen. Dodge had a
memorable quarrel in regard to the prisoners.   Col. Cooper insisted,
although they had surrendered, they were not entitled to protection, and in
accordance to custom, they should be hung immediately.   General Dodge,
insisted that as they had surrendered to him, he, being the superior
officer, they were entitled to his protection as prisoners of war.  So
fiercely did they quarrel, that at one time the two forces (frontiersman and
regulars) came very near having a fight in order to settle the controversy.
Finally a peaceful disposition was made, by General Dodge being permitted to
take the prisoners to St. Louis.

In the Spring of 1813, not having seen any signs of Indians for about 3
months, and being anxious to raise a crop that year, as they had been unable
the previous year, many of the settlers returned to their fields, but in
order to be alerted of the possible approach of an enemy, they stationed a
guard at each corner of the field in which they were at work.

By 1815 the peace had been settled and the people were in no more danger
from the Indians.   For over 3 long years, had the pioneers lives been a
constant vigil.  Their foes were crafty and heartless, and they knew that
without unfailing guard that any moment they might be slaughtered.   Now the
settlers could turn their attention to opening their farms and bringing true
settlement to the county?

The four Cooley brothers were no exception; all of them moved out of the
fort to different areas.   Joseph went up Bonne Femme Creek to the Salt
Branch and entered land there.  Perrin moved over on Moniteau Creek where he
farmed and preached the gospel and Daniel settled close to the old Fort

James Cooley had entered a tract known as the Spanish Needle District and
there erected a large cabin and began to farm, raise horses, make whiskey
and clearing a broad quarter-mile strip created a race path that came to be
known as the Spanish Needle Race Track, the first race track West of St.
Louis.   Here his family was situated and here is where young Tink's first
memories were set.

James Cooley was born 1772 in Stokes Co., North Carolina.  This was in
Oldfield Creek not far from the Virginia line.  He was the second son of
John Cooley who was from New York. [This is probably based on the bogus
dutch Pedigree. -Don]

Late in the 18th century the Cooley's moved from North Carolina into
Kentucky.   They went over the Appalachians through the Cumberland Gap, then
down the rivers by boat into Central (Bluegrass) Kentucky.  They apparently
moved around quite a bit while in Kentucky as they appeared in several
counties records up until the move to Missouri was made.   They were on
Goose Creek in Green County when the removal to Missouri was made. *That is
to say that not all the family removed to Missouri--only four brothers and
their families-- The others remained in Kentucky as did their father (John
Cooley). *

They were among a large group of Kentuckians who came together into Central
Missouri and settled along the Missouri River near the site of Franklin.   This
was about 1811.  They were associated with Fort Hempstead and were enrolled
in Capt. Sarshel Cooper's Company of Missouri Rangers (Militia), and were
involved in several of the early Indian skirmishes.

After arrival in Howard County , James Cooley built and operated a
Tavern.  This
is really to say an inn for travelers-- a place for people to stay overnight
and receive food and drink.  Much of the fur trade travelers came up the
Missouri and stopped at the Tavern in Franklin.  Later he laid out and
operated the "Spanish Needle" Racetrack which provided entertainment in the
form of horse racing.   James Cooley had brought some blooded race horses
from Kentucky, and he, and of course later his sons Tim and Ben, was deeply
involved in the "Sport" and well known for the raising of fine horses.

In 1816, when the village of Franklin (Missouri) was laid out, James had
built a large log building there and opened a Tavern.  In the usage of the
time the Tavern was really an inn for travelers and catered to the fur
trappers and traders going up the river, as well as new settlers and served
as a gathering place for the residents in the area.   He spent his time
between his farm and the Tavern, riding the few miles several times a week.
In his absence from the farm, his Negro slave, with the help of the older
boys, did the necessary work.   Later James bought another slave to help
with the establishment of his horse raising operation.

James himself was not too awfully fond of hard work and enjoyed himself most
when playing the host at the Tavern, or when engaged in his predominant
passion: riding horses.   He was well thought of by his neighbors and
recognized as the outstanding horseman of the region.  Although he would
never accept public office, he enjoyed talking politics and Cooley's Tavern
became a gathering center for discussion of the topics of the day.   James
was a Jeffersonian in his political affiliation and an ardent supporter of

One of Tink's early memories of which long afterward was fond of telling,
took place around the time of the founding of Franklin.  The family were all
in Franklin and at the Tavern--when a tall, rugged old white haired man
walked in--Tink remembered how the men quickly removed their hats and rushed
to greet the old man, calling him Squire and Sir!   Drinks were called for
and the place of honor given to the old frontiersman.  Then little Tink was
told that he was in the presence of the noted old hunter *Daniel Boone*.  Later
he realized what it all meant and loved to relate the tale to his

On a neighboring farm lived the family of Lindsay Carson (who came in the
party from Kentucky), including his young son Christopher who was not quite
a year older than Tink.   The two boys were best friends and boyhood
playmates--spending nearly all their spare time together.  Christopher also
had a nick-name: Kit.   He would someday be one of the most noted of
frontier scouts.

.....Then in the year that Tink was eleven, tragedy struck.

The weather was threatening to storm and after only a short distance a
furious thunderstorm began to blow --hard driving rain--the visibility
became nearly impossible --  James simply dropped the reins and allowed the
horse (the great stallion Franklin) to take him home.  By the time the
animal had stopped in front of the log stable, he was completely chilled and
feeling ill.   He was helped into the house to the fire--it was shortly
apparent that he had pneumonia and was very serious.  He lingered several
days and then was dead at the age of 49.

The family was, of course, shocked and deeply saddened.   The death of his
father probably affected Tink more than the other children---the older ones
being more able to accept and adapt--little Ben being too young to fully
realize--Tink was just at that age when it was hard to understand and cope
with the loss.

Tink had been a favorite of his father, perhaps because at a very early age
he had shown the same great love of horses that was his father's passion.   For
a long time after his father's death young Tink spent a lot of time alone in
the woods, mourning in his own boyish way.

The death of James Cooley brought some necessary adjustments to the family
life style.   Although the Cooley's were far from wealthy, they had
prospered about as well as any of the settlers and had no wolf at the door.
James love of the good times had run him into some debt however and in order
to satisfy all concerned, the Tavern was sold and the newest slave was
purchased by Jemima's father-in-law:   Randolph White.  The farm and
faithful Sam (their slave carried from Kentucky) were retained by Elizabeth,
to be run with the help of the boys.   The horses were divided amongst the
sons: Mark (Demarcus) receiving the great stallion Franklin.

Franklin had been foaled in 1810 and his get were beginning to be noted as
fine blood stock.   The Dam of Franklin was the great old mare, Cooley's
maid, who made the trip from Kentucky with the colt at her side.  He was
descended from Janus through the Goode's stallion Jupiter.   In the years to
come, Franklin would be celebrated as one of the premier studs of Missouri.
Mark kept the chestnut stallion until his own untimely death in 1826.   His
widow, Rebecca, then sold the horse to Tom White, Jemima's husband.  Years
later, Tink was able to buy Franklin back and owned him until the old
stallion died in 1838.

The next few years were years not of real hardship but trying to the widow
and family attempting to wrest a living from the land that James had
entered.   It was a good farm and the hard work Johnny, Ike and Tink,
assisted by the Negro Sam, made it provide.  Jim had married Jane White and
struck out on his own.   The family continued to raise some horses and other
livestock, and planted tobacco and corn.

*** From Don & Sandy's 1st Cousin Dale Walker ***

This document has the contents of 4 letters written by Dale Walker of St.
Louis Mo. to his second cousin, Irene Gleason.

Letter #2

St. Louis Mo.

Aug. 14, 1979

My dear Irene,

What a wonderful pleasure it was to receive your most welcome letter. I am
so very interested in family history and nothing excites me more than
learning and sharing that information.   I have spent a great deal of time
working on this research and truly enjoy it.  I shall attempt to forward
everything I know to you, even if it takes several letters to do so.

This past week-end my mother and I spent the week-end in Macon and Beiver
visiting relatives and doing some research.   I learned a great deal,
especially so many wonderful stories of family happenings.  We stayed with
Aunt Mable (Reed) Davison Pearson.   She was first married to my
grandmother's brother Evan T. Davison (1890-1931).  She was 83 in July and
is in excellent health with a real sharp clear mind, and she, along with her
brother Sam Reed (age 80) were able to tell me many wonderful things.

We spent Sunday roaming all over Beiver township Missouri visiting the Old
Cooley farms, the cemeteries, etc...  It was a great day and very enjoyable.
I had not been around Beiver for many years.   We visited the man who now
farms most of the original Cooley land, and he was able to fill us in on a
lot.  He has been there for over 60 years and he knew several of the
Cooleys.   The house he lives in used to be Art Cooley's home and before
that was on the site of Timothy and Lucinda's original cabin.  On his land
there are still standing several other Cooley houses.   I took lots of
pictures, will send you some if they turn out.  I found a lot of the
tombstones I wanted to in St. Charles, Antioch, and Mt. Olive cemeteries,
and collected quite a bit of data.

Well Irene, I shall use this first letter to basically tell the story
of Timothy
Goode "Tink" Cooley (our great-great grandfather).

Timothy Cooley was born Feb. 6, 1810 in Green Co., Kentucky.   He was
brought by his parents as an infant to Howard County, Missouri.  He was the
son of James and Jane (Goode) Cooley who were among a group of Kentuckians
who were the first permanent settlers of Howard County, Missouri.   They
settled near the site of Old Franklin on the Missouri River (river took the
site many years ago.)  and were associated with .

There were four Cooley brothers who came together:   James, Joseph, Daniel
and Perrin.  All four were in Capt. Sarshel Cooper's Company of Missouri
Rangers.   I shall go into more detail on these brothers later.

[2]  From the History of Boone county, Missouri, published in 1824. Cooper's
Fort was two miles southwest of Boone's Lick; Kincaid's, nine miles
southwest of Cooper's and about one mile north of the present (1882)
railroad bridge at Boonsville; and Fort Hempstead, about one and a half
miles north of Kincaid's.   All were built in 1812. (Campbell's Gazetteer,
p.246.)  The spot on which Cooper's Fort was located is now (1882) about one
and a half miles from the ferry landing opposite Arrow Rock, and the land is
owned by John A. Fisher. Capt. Sarshell Cooper, after whom the fort was
named, was killed in it on the night of April 14, 1814, by Indians, and
buried near by, the precise place of interment being now unknown, and in a
corn or wheat field.   Mr. Eusebius Hubbard, who now (1882) resides on the
two-mile prairie, ten miles southeast of Columbia, and who came to Howard
county from Madison County, Ky., aided in building Fort Hempstead.

These Cooleys were descended from a very old American family of Dutch
descent:   The Van Cuyler's of New Amsterdam (now New York) who came to
America in 1625.  More about all this later! [My dear counsin Dale was wrong
about that! I only he's lived I wonder what he think of all this Y-DNA
business? -Don]

**** Some Cooleys move to Oregon ****

.  *Christopher Columbus COOLEY*2,4,52  (Joseph T.-2, John A.-1) was born on
6 Aug 1809 in , Lincoln, Kentucky, USA.2,5,8   He appeared in the census in
1880 in Woodburn, Marion, Oregon, USA.  1880 Census says they were born in
Missouri.  He died on 14 Nov 1885 in , Marion, Oregon, USA. 2,8  Effie M.
Waldron stated he died November 13th, 1885.

Paula Post says he died November 13, 1885.   He was buried in Hubbard Cem, ,
, , USA.2  Lineage by Effie M. Waldron Cooley

*Received from Tom Alexander:*

Christopher Columbus Cooley (C. C.) was born in Kentucky on the 6th day of
August, 1809 and moved to Howard Co., Missouri, in 1812, afterward moved to
Leiberty (Liberty), Clay County, Missouri in 1824. He married Miss Nancy
Officer September 30th, 1834.   He came across the plains in 1845 and
settled on a donation land claim one and a half miles east of Woodburn,
living there continuously until his death, November 13th, 1885.   He was a
carpenter and a farmer, built his own house, the first one a log house
cutting the logs and riving or splitting the shakes or clapboards himself,
made his own rails to fence the place.   When he came across the plains he
started with six small children, a pair of twin girls as babies only six
months old when they started.   They got across but lost one of the babies
at Washougal, after getting that far.  I think they were with the company
that took Meeks cutoff, but I am not sure.   Anyway they nearly starved
before getting here.  Some of the people of the same company were Friars,
Kitchens, Wilson, Officers, and a man named Marshall, those I've heard them
tell about, but can't remember others.   The Officers are relatives as
Grandmother Cooley was named Nancy Officer and was a sister to James Officer
of Mollala, quite an old Indian fighter and a brave hardy old pioneer.   He
was the captain of the company when they crossed the plains.  Grandmother
Nancy (Officer) Cooley was born March 20th, 1811 in Tennessee.  Her parents
names were Thomas and Susan Officer, who was Susan Dillon before
marriage.  They
also went to Clay County, Missouri in 1822 and there met the Cooleys.

Grandmother Cooley was the mother of ten children.   She was a member of the
Baptist Church joining in 1852.  Grandpa was also a member of that
churchand had many an association as they called their conventions at
his house at
French Prairie or kept the brothers in their going to and from the

Christopher Cooley had four brothers, Eli and Jackson coming across the
plains with him in 1845.   Eli married Lydia Bonney; Jackson married Harriet
Dimick.  One brother turned back after starting with them, his name was
Harry Cooley.   Another was a doctor of Kansas City, Missouri, Dr. Frank
Cooley... never came out here.

Grandpa Chris Cooley was a quiet, modest man.   I never heard him tell much
about his early days, but he was a schoolmate of *Kit Carson* and knew him
and his family well.  He also helped to drive the Mormons from Nauvon
(Nauvoo).   He was also a great Bible student, was very neat in person,
careful of his language, and altogether a model gentleman.  Not very large,
slender, blue-eyed and was grey haired when I knew him (brown haired when
young.)   Grandma was a large, very fair with blue eyes and golden hair when
young (grey when I knew her). She was a kindly homebody, never going away
from home.   Never talked about anyone unless she could say something good
about them.  They knew all the old pioneers or he did at any rate.

The Cooleys were descended from the Caseys and the Cooks, Irish in descent.
[I am not sure of this statement at this time. Chuck Cooley 1999.]  Food was
scarce and hard to get, when they came here.   The Cooleys lived in the back
end of Dave Weston's blacksmith shop when they first came to the valley,
near where Champoog is now and lived on boiled wheat and wild Oregon
tea.   They
got across with two old cows so they had milk, but had to carry a sack of
flour from Oregon City on his back to get bread (but still they were glad to
have it.)   They boiled the wheat with Lye ashes to soften the hull and
afterward boiled it all day to make it soft.  They shot wild meat, deer,
bear and grouse and pheasants.   Got fish from the Indians, so they managed
very well but worked hard.  The children had no school for quite a while.  When
they did they sat on boards hewed flat with a broad axe and a puncheon or
hewed floor and log house,   with a stick and mud fireplace.  The women had
no stoves but cooked on the same kind of fireplace.  They went from all
along the valley Vancouver to the Hudson Bay Company's store to procure what
cloth they could get for clothing.  The women spun and knit the yarn they
got from their sheep and made socks to sell.   This was years after they
first came here tho', as at first they had no sheep.  They took up the old
donation soon after they got here.   I think maybe in the spring of 1846 or
'47. I have the Charter here somewhere yet in the house.  Anyway, there is
four acres on the old stage road near Woodburn which is the oldest farmed
land in French Prairie, (that is, was first plowed and cultivated).   Uncle
Eli ran for legislature twice on the Democratic ticket but was never
elected.  Grandpa Chris was no public officer seeker.   Uncle Jackson was
also a very quiet man.  The three brothers had adjoining claims on French
Prairie near Woodburn; were good Democrat's and splendid citizens, had no
enemies as far as I know.


The following is from Effie May Waldron Cooley:

*Christopher Cooley had four brothers, Eli and Jackson coming across the
plains with him in 1845.   Eli married Lydia Bonney; Jackson married Harriet
Dimick.  One brother turned back after starting with them, his name was
Harry Cooley.   Another was a doctor of Kansas City, Missouri , Dr. Frank
Cooley ...never came out here.*

* *

*Mary Lou Cooley states that Jackson L. Cooley came to Oregon from
Missourion the Tethrow wagon train in 1845.


*John COOLEY 2,4,20* (Joseph T.-2, John A.-1) was born on 8 Oct 1783. 5  He
was born on 8 Oct 1793 in Oldfield Creek, Stokes, North Carolina, USA.2,8,18
He died in 1844 in Burton Station, Howard or Randolph, Missouri, USA. 2,8  He
died in 1845 in , Howard, Missouri, USA.5,18

*The following was recorded by the family of Wilkey Cooley who was the great
grandson of John Cooley:*

John Cooley (Stokes Co., NC) 10-8-1793-1844

m. Elizabeth White (Mercer Co., KY)   7-26-1796 - 1853


*John was a full blooded Englishman and when he first came to this part of
the country, he settled near the present site of Kansas City, at Cooley's
Lake**.** * He later moved to Boonville, MO (Old Frankline).  Both died in
Randolph Co.   Elizabeth is buried in the Mark Teter graveyard about 5 miles
west of Jacksonville , MO.  John ran the salt works at Burton Station in
Howard County:  *he was murdered and is buried in a cemetery in Burton
Station. *

John COOLEY and Elizabeth WHITE were married on 2 Jun 1816 in , Howard,
Missouri, USA. 2,18,20,55  *Elizabeth WHITE *2,20,55 (daughter of Randolf or
Randel WHITE and Margaret KIRKLAND) was born on 26 Jul 1796 in , Mercer,
Kentucky, USA. 2,18,20  She died in 1853 in , Randolph, Missouri, USA.
2,18,20  This was taken from Revolutionary Soldiers Buried in MO by Mrs.
Hale Houts 1966 p. 259:

*Randolph White of Randolph CO, born 1755 in Essex Co., England; died 1831
near Huntsville, MO; buried in old David Austin Cemetery; married Mar 1788
Mercer Co., KY to Margaret Kirkland b. 1763 NC; died 1851 Macon Co., MO near
College Mound.   Buried old Robert Gipson Cemetery**.* Children:  William b.
1789 m. Betsey Cooley; Elizabeth b. 1792 m. John Cooley; Margaret b. 1797
married James Jackson 1818; Thomas K. b. 1798 m. Jemima Cooley 1817; Jean b.
1802 m. James Cooley (2) T. Tuttle; Randolph b. 5/25/1805 m. Elizabeth Riley
Lee, Amy b. 1808 m. Jackson Lock; John b. 1810 m. Nancy Vestal; Harrison b.
1814 m. Bethanie Gipson.  *He (Randolph White) enlisted in Culpepper VA;
discharged near Louisville**.  See Gwathmey's Virginian's in the Revolution.


**** Joseph T. Cooley --  brother of Edward and James & father of
Christopher Columbus Cooley and Elizabeth Cooley White (by different
wives) ******

*Family tree information from Dennis A. Young of the Cooley Family
Association of America *confirms that Joseph Cooley is the father of John
Cooley, his first spouse is unknown and that would be the mother of John.

Joseph T. COOLEY and Keziah CASEY were married on 15 Feb 1807 in , Lincoln,
Kentucky, USA. 2,4,8,18,19  ~Michael and Pat Ludwig provided info.   *Keziah
CASEY*2,4,5,15  was born about 1775 in , , South Carolina, USA.2,5  She died
in 1842 in Liberty, Clay, Missouri, USA.2  Joseph T. COOLEY and Keziah CASEY
had the following children:

          +39                      i.    *Eveline Granville COOLEY* (born on
7 Dec 1807).

          +40                     ii.    *Christopher Columbus COOLEY* (born
on 6 Aug 1809).

          +41                    iii.    *Cassandra COOLEY* (born about

          +42                    iv.    *Harrison** COOLEY *(born about

          +43                     v.    *Jackson L. COOLEY* (born on 27 Mar

          +44                    vi.    *Elijah Casey COOLEY* (born on 18
Feb 1821).

          +45                   vii.    *Franklin or Frank COOLEY* (born in
Jul 1823).

Joseph T. COOLEY and Mrs. Joseph COOLEY were married. 18  *Mrs. Joseph
COOLEY* was born in 1769 in , , North Carolina, USA. 18  She died in 1805 in
, , Kentucky, USA.18   Joseph T. COOLEY and Mrs. Joseph COOLEY had the
following children:

            46                      i.    *Polly C. or Mary COOLEY* 2 was
born about 1791.2,5,8   She died in 1847.5

          +47                     ii.    *John COOLEY* (born on 8 Oct 1793).

          +48                    iii.    *Elizabeth or Betsy COOLEY* (born
about 1794).

            49                    iv.    *James COOLEY* 2 was born in 1796
in Goose Creek, Green, Kentucky, USA.4,5  He died about 1829.  Howard County(
Missouri) Wills & Adm 1818-1857 by Carolyn Bartels:

                                            James Cooley, deceased intestate

                                            Admr:  Jane Cooley and Thomas K.
White.  Sec. Thomas K. White 25 Aug 1829

                                            Came to Howard County Missouri1816

          +50                     v.    *Hannah COOLEY* (born about 1799).

            51                    vi.    *Tempy COOLEY* was born in
1800 in Goose
Creek, Green, Kentucky, USA. 4,5  He died before 1900.


by Elizabeth Cooley White *[ daughter of Joseph T Cooley above]*

*I was born in North Carolina and taken by my parents to Kentucky, where I
remained until I was seventeen years old. *

In my eleventh year, death visited our family and claimed my mother for its
victim, leaving six children.   I being the third child; not withstanding I
summed up sufficient courage to take charge of the children which were
younger than myself.  I had to fill the place of mother and sister.   I spun
and made clothes for them and tried to teach them the ways of truth and

*In the year AD 1816, I with the rest of my father's family, came from
Kentucky to Missouri**. *  We lived without bread from October until corn
would grit.  We came first to Luther Island, and from there to Boone's Lick.
My father's wagon was the first to mark the road.   We had to cut our own
road and make our own bridges.  I was the first white woman that ever
traveled the road.  We lived in peace for one year, then we had to fort for
protection.   We were forted four years, then peace was made.

*I was married under a large oak tree, on the Fourth of July, at the first
picnic ever held in Missouri**, to William White*.  I cooked my own wedding
dinner, my bread was bent in mortar and my meats were wild meats of all
kinds; my wedding dress was not as some might think, it was not home spun,
neither was it in a pin back, but it was cut to suit the times.

We lived twelve years in Howard County, then moved to Clay County where I
now am, then to the new Platte purchase, then to Clinton County, then to
Andrew County which is now my home.  *When **Platte County was settled my
oldest daughter and I were the first females that settled in that county. *

In settling on the new counties all that were old enough to hold a line had
to help build houses and clear.   I have spun thread out of nettles all day;
then piled and burned brush until midnight.   *I am now in my eighty-eighth
year; my husband and I lived together sixty-four years.  He was then taken
from me.   We raised eleven children all to be grown; they are all alive but

Is there anyone of this day that can say they have seen two of their fourth
generation?   I have of mine.  Children, grandchildren, great grandchildren
and great grandchildren's children, are in number one hundred and forty-six.

*Daniel Boone was the head commander of our fort, he and his two sons were
the first white men that were ever in the state of Missouri.   He was here
two years before I came to the state.  I never saw a bit of ground meal for
two years.*


*The following is an article titled Elizabeth Cooley White by Jim Terry.   As
far as I know it was not published and I don't know who Jim Terry is.  This
unpublished manuscript was given to me by Ron Jones of Grants Pass, Oregon
who is a direct descendant of Joseph Cooley who married Keziah Cooley and
then from Christopher Columbus Cooley, a brother of Elizabeth Cooley White:

*Elizabeth Cooley was born in or about 1794 on Oldfield Creek in Stokes
County, North Carolina.  She was the third of six children born to her
mother (name unknown) and had three sisters and two brothers; Mary (about
1791), John ( Oct 8, 1793), James (about 1796), Hannah (about 1799) and
another sister (name unknown, about 1801).  Her father Joseph Cooley, was a
simple farmer not possessed of much worldly wealth.*

Elizabeth and her sisters learned domestic tasks in the home while their
brothers learned about planting, harvesting and the care of livestock from
their father.   The girls mastered the techniques of the clank-timbered
loom; learning to "swingle"flax; card wool and spin as well as mending.  There
were lessons in butter, soap and sugar making; cooking on an open fireplace
and baking in an out door oven.   Molding candles and casting bullets were
also just a few of things Elizabeth was probably taught in her youth.

*At an early age, Elizabeth was taken by her parents to Goose Creek in Green
County, Kentucky** -- about 1799 -- and they remained in the Blue Grass
state.   In my 11th year, death visited our family and claimed my mother for
its victim, leaving six children, I being the third child," she
reminisced.*  "Notwithstanding,
I summed up sufficient courage to take charge of the children which were
younger than myself.  I had to fill the place of both a mother and a sister.  I
spun and made clothes for them and tried, in my childish way, to teach them
the ways of Truth and Life."

*Elizabeth 's mother had died about 1805, but on Feb. 10, 1807, her father,
Joseph Cooley, married Keziah Casey in Lincoln County, KY.  An infant
half-sister, Evaline Cooley was born on December 7, 1807, followed by a baby
half-brother, Christopher Columbus Cooley, on August 6, 1809 .*

*Then in the spring of 1811, when Elizabeth was 17 years old, the Cooley
family made the arduous trek from Kentucky to the vast Louisiana
Territoryand settled temporarily on
Loutre Island on the Missouri River in what is now Montgomery County,
Missouri.  But the real threat of Indian attacks made a move to a more
defensible area imperative.   The Cooley's and other families on the very
edge of the frontier wilderness soon moved upriver to Boone's Lick Country,
where Daniel Boone and his sons manufactured salt. *

Elizabeth recounted, "My father's wagon was the first that ever marked the
road.  We had to cut our road and make our own bridges."  When the Cooley's
reached Boone's Lick, their first tasks were to plant corn and build a
cabin.   Elizabeth added, "We lived without bread from October (1811) until
corn would grist."

The pioneer's claim to the land was tenuous, since Boone's Lick Country was
still inhabited by Indians and settlement was not yet sanctioned by the
government -- Missouri, had not yet been organized as a territory.  In the
spring of 1812, raids by the Sauk and Fox tribes left several settlers dead
and the Cooley'[s abandoned their homestead for safety.   "We lived in peace
one year," said Elizabeth, "then we had to fort for protection."

*The Cooley's took refuge at Fort Hempstead.  Elizabeth explained, "We
forted (off and on) four years (during the War of 1812), then peace was
made... Ben Cooper was the Fort's commander.   However, the young Kit Carson
(Boone's grandson), did reside in the stockade with the Cooley's.  (Daniel
Boone was some 80 years old at the time and lived near St. Charles.)*

It was during the war that two additional children were added to the Joseph
Cooley family:   Cassandra (born about 1812) and Harrison (born about 1814).
Something else was astir also:  *Elizabeth was courted by William White, a
handsome young man with light hair, steel gray eyes and lean six foot
frame.  The
records of St. Charles, Missouri, show that William and Elizabeth were
married on July 3, 1913**, by the Reverend David McLain, the Baptist
preacher at the fort.*   The wedding festivities evidently carried over into
the next day.

Elizabeth remembered, "I was married under a large oak tree on the Fourth of
July at the first picnic ever held in Missouri to William White.   I cooked
my own wedding dinner; my bread was beat in a mortar; my meats were wild
meats of all kinds."  She also recounted, "My wedding suit was not as some
might think -- it was not homespun, neither was it a pin-back.   But it was
cut to suit the times...  There were no pin-backs worn by our mothers them
days.  The people in the fort had no room for such pin-backs." If true to
the time a raucous "shivaree" followed at night.

*In August, 1813, William and Elizabeth preempted 160 acres on Sulphur Creek
adjoining Joseph Cooley's farm.   "In settling the new counties
(Missouri**was now an official territory),
*all that were large enough to hold a line had to help build houses and
clear," Elizabeth said. "I have spun thread out of nettles all day, then
piled burnt brush until midnight.  If anyone things I haven't done enough
for my country, well, tell them what I've done."

*Elizabeth **raised a large family.  Boasting, she said, "We raised 11
children all to be grown.   *They are all alive but three." Her children
born in Howard County included:  Nancy (1816, Mary Ann, called Polly (1818),
Harvey (1820) and Tempy (1822).  *About 1825, Elizabeth and William
resettled in Clay County, Missouri, along with the Joseph Cooley family, and
took a farm in **Fishing River Township near Cooley Lake* *(subsequently
drained for additional farmland).*  Here the remainder of Elizabeth 's
children were born:  Margaret (about 1825), Elizabeth (1830), Susan (1832),
Louisa (1834), William (1836) and John (1838).

*"We lived 12 years in Howard County," Elizabeth added, "then moved to Clay
County, then to Andrew County, then back to Clinton County, which is now my
home (1878)   When Platte County was settled, my oldest daughter and I were
the first white females that were ever in that county."  Her father, Joseph
Cooley, died April 3, 1826.*

In his declining years, William White eventually needed constant care and
attention due to failing mental faculties -- possibly Alzheimer's. This once
dynamic and active man could barely feed himself.   He applied to the
government for a military pension, but the information he provided was
confused and in error.  The government turned him down.   He died January
12, 1875, in Stewartsville , Missouri, leaving Elizabeth a widow.

Speaking to the editor of the Liverty Tribune in August 1878,
Elizabethclosed her story, "I am now in my 88th year.
My husband and I lived together for 64 years.   He was then taken from me.  We
raised 11 children.  Is there anyone of this day that can say they have seen
two of their fourth generation?   I have mine:  children, grandchildren, and
great grandchildren, and great great grandchildren are now in number, 146."
------- End of Forwarded Message -------


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/
Size: 123914 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.johncooley.net/pipermail/list/attachments/20061231/e8456558/attachment-0001.bin

More information about the List mailing list