Re: Amos Franklin Cooley (1875-1905) m Ada Willie Watts

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 19:22:05 -0800

Thanks Gloria,

Jeff is one of our resident geniuses on the W G Cooley line. :)

Using google, the only place I've seen mention of Amos is in posts written
by James Plunk. He lacks a date for the marriage. I don't know when WG's
second wife died, but it looks plausible that he had another child just
before he died. Here's the pertinent part of the tree that James provided.
He married a Bogue. DNA might solve this one:

Jeff, does this sound reasonable to you?

William Grundy /Cooley/ (1805-1878) m1 Ann Eliza /McDonald/ m2 Julia Ann
/Caldwell/ m3 Judy A /Futrell/
..Amos Franklin /Cooley/ (1875-1905) m Ada Willie /Watts/
....Mettie Reba /Cooley/ (1902-2001) m1 John L /Ford/ m2 Lloyd Hersley
/Graham/
....Freddie Lawrence /Cooley/ (1900-1902)
....Paul E /Cooley/ (1898-1899)
....William Franklin /Cooley/ (1904-1995) m Anna Mae /Davis/
......Horace Franklin /Cooley/ (1927-2010) m Louise /Tomlin/
........Anita /Cooley/
........Sandra /Cooley/ m Lynn H /Sanders/
........Jeffrey /Cooley/
......Mildred Louise /Cooley/ (1935-1985) m Robert Sidney /Roberson/
........Debbie Roberson m Jimmy /Graham/
......HIDDEN /Cooley/
........HIDDEN /Bogue/
........HIDDEN /Bogue/
....Amos T /Cooley/ (1905-1909)

On Sun, February 22, 2015 19:50, G Tanner wrote:

> I found this on ancestry
>

> From: jclark6_at_hotmail.com
> Subject: [TXMILAM] Re: Cooley / McDonald
> Date: 10 Jan 2003 13:12:07 -0700

> Surnames: COOLEY / McDONALD / WEBSTER
> Classification: Query
>

> Message Board URL:
>

> htt
> p://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/hkB.2ACE/1259.1261.1656.2161.2167
>

> Message Board Post:
>

> My name is Jeff Clark. My great great great grandfather was William
> Grundy Cooley. I read a message you posted on the Milam County, TX
> message board asking about a William G. Cooley from Mississippi County,
> Missouri who was a judge. His first wife Ann Eliza was a McDonald. She
> had a sister named Elizabeth “Betsey” McDonald who married Joseph
> Webster.
>

> I’m very interested in comparing what information I
  already have with
> yours to see if we indeed have a match. Here is a link to my family tree
> on www.rootsweb.com It should take you right to the information I have on
> William Grundy Cooley.
>

> http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jeffclark6&id=
> I761
>

>> From what I know of William Grundy Cooley, he was born in Tennessee in
>> 1805. By 1840 he was in Wolf Island Township, Scott County, Missouri.
>> In the Census, he’s listed as having 3 white males under 5, one white
>> male between 20 and 30, one white male between 30 and 40 (presumably
>> himself at 35), a white female between 5 and 10, another white female
>> between 10 and 15, and a white female between 30 and 40 (presumably his
>> first wife, Ann Eliza McDonald born May 15, 1806).
>
> In the 1850 census Willam Grundy Cooley’s occupation was listed as
> farmer, but later, in 1860 he’s listed as a Judge. Also in the 1850
> Census, it lists some of his children:
> 1.William Cooley – 13
> 2.John L. Cooley – 11
> 3.A. W. Cooley – 9 (male)
> 4.L. (Laetilia – she’s listed again with him in 1860 at age 13) Cooley
> – 3.
>
> Comparing this to the 1840 Census means he still has 3 more children we
> still don’t know about yet (a younger boy and two older girls).
>
> Also living with them are:
> 1.Nancy P. Webster – 14
> 2.E. J. Webster – 11 (female).
> 3.E.E. Webster – 9 (female).
>

> These are the daughters of Elizabeth “Betsey” McDonald (Ann Eliza’s
> sister) and Joseph Webster. In Webster Cemetery, Mississippi County,
> Missouri there are markers that give the birth and death dates of Ann
> Eliza Cooley (d. March 24, 1851), Betsey McDonald wife of Joseph Webster
> (b. Nov. 20, 1808 d. May 5, 1843), and Joseph Webster (b. June 15, 1800
> d. Aug. 15, 1844).
>
> Also from Mississippi County, Missouri, Deed Record Book: Eliza Jane
> Webster and Elvira
  Elizabeth, minors. Estate #1743 Box #55 – Guardian
> William G. Cooley, minor heirs of Joseph Webster deceased.
>

> Betsey and Joseph also had another older daughter and son: William J.
> Webster and Mary E. Webster. I have no birthdates for them.
>

> After the death of Ann Eliza, William Grundy Cooley married Julia Ann
> Caldwell on May 28, 1851 in Wolf Island Township, Missouri. I’m a
> descendent of their son Byron Bedford Lee Cooley. Julia Ann Caldwell was
> born May 22, 1836. Their children were: 1.Felix Albert Cooley - 1854
> 2.Cornelius Grundy Cooley - 1855
> 3.George Whitcomb Cooley - 1858
> 4.Julia Cooley - 1860
> 5.Clara Belle Cooley - 1862
> 6.Annabelle Cooley - 1863
> 7.Byron Bedford Lee Cooley - 1864
> 8.Robert D. Cooley - 1866
> 9.Clarence Edgar Cooley - 1868
> 10.Bolen Victor Cooley - 1872
> 11.Francis “Frank” M. Cooley - 1873
>

> At the time of the 1870 census, William Grundy
  Cooley and family were
> living in Obion County, Tennessee. He is listed as a farmer in the 1870
> census. They picked up the family and moved to Milam County, Texas in
> 1876 because, according to my Grandmother’s recollection of family
> lore, the carpetbaggers had cleaned them out after the Civil War. They
> stayed in Milam County, Texas for several years until William Grundy
> Cooley died. The family moved back to Tennessee for a year and then moved
> back to Texas. William Grundy Cooley died sometime prior to 1880. My best
> guess would put his death in 1878.
>
> My lineage is: Byron Bedford Lee Cooley to Julia Ruth Cooley to Dorothy
> Marie Shaw to Cheryl Ann McGinniss to Jeffrey Franklin Clark, 2nd. I have
> some other information from James C. Boggan, a descendent of Felix Albert
> Cooley. He gave me photocopies of more Deed Records listing William
> Grundy Cooley. Currently, we’re both working on uncovering who William
> Grundy Cooley’s parents are.
  Distance makes this difficult - James

--
Administrator, the Akins DNA Project
Administrator, the Ashenhurst DNA Project