Another Cooley page coming

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 19:32:13 -0500

So, although this list has been involved with *all* descendants of John
Cooley, many of the pages I've created have been centered on Cooley
patrilineages, largely because of the power of the Y chromosome and its
potential to sort out the early generations. We've accomplished a great
deal toward that end. We've discovered, for example, that Daniel wasn't
John's son but that William probably was--certainly that he was closely
related. We've also discovered that Edmond Cooley was likely another son
who, otherwise, is virtually missing from the record. Only Reuben, in
fact, remains to be confirmed through DNA. (Well, there's Cornelius, but
he seems not to have left sons.) We've largely sorted out Perrin Sr's
family--partly through DNA--and we now know that Abraham Cooley of Surry
County was not related, nor was the Cooley/Firmin family. Several Carolina
clans have been DNA-identified and none (of those we presently know about)
were connected to John. But we *have* discovered the strong probability of
a collateral--or cadet--line in Pennsylvania. Some early Cooley DNA
lineages are yet to be revealed but broad swarths have been sketched out.
I'm ready to move on.

I hope to put together pages that are more reflective of the greater clan.
But I'm not sure yet how to accomplish that. As many of you know, I'm not
a fan of ready-to-go boxed software. They're generally cumbersome and
possess big holes in respect to capabilities. It's going to take awhile to
sort out some ideas. In the meantime, I hope to soon have an introductory
"splash" page having a photo-collage of some of the earliest photographed
members of the clan. At this early stage its purpose will not be
informative (but it will be "true"). Instead (I hope), it will be
colorful. It's that sort of photo I'm looking for. The persons do not need
to be Cooley by name, merely of the clan by descent.

Change is *almost* always a good thing. :)

BTW, I'm taking a human genetics class at HSU. Only four class sessions
into it, I've already learned a lot--even in respect as to what to expect
from autosomes. It looks like there might be a lot more genealogical
information than the tests provide for. Perhaps a bit about that later.

-Michael

--
Administrator, the Akins DNA Project
Administrator, the Ashenhurst DNA Project