Re: Two basic genetic genealogy terms

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 21:32:48 -0800

The descent from Jemima would break the male lineage to John. Since the
trail of the Y chromosome follows the surname (with the exception of
adoptions, etc.) his test would tell him something about his surname-line,
or father-line.

For example, your sons' Y would be identical. They would look like your
husband's Y chromosome, which would look like "grandpa Lilliwhite's" Y
chromosome, etc.