Re: Washington County Ohio Cooleys

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 23:16:44 -0700

Hi Michael,

These are my notes on the wrong John W Cooley. Note that John William
Cooley had a daughter Elda Viola Cooley who married a Stout. Also, take
note that John William Cooley's Father John B. Cooley was born 1815 in
Ireland. I hope these notes are not too confusing! I made these notes for
my own use and sometimes they meander:

This first John W Cooley (John William Cooley) is NOT the correct John W
Cooley!!!!!!

John William Cooley
Birth: Jan. 6, 1846; LaSalle County, Illinois, USA
Death: Oct. 31, 1903; Morrison, Grundy County, Iowa, USA

   John Cooley died very suddenly at his home in this place Saturday evening
about 9 o'clock with an absess on the liver. He had been sick for about
three weeks but was not confined to his bed. On Friday he went to Grundy and
was feeling some better on Saturday until about half an hour before he died.
He was a man that was well thought of, a good neighbor, a kind & loving
husband and father, a good christian and an old soldier and he leaves a
wife, three sons and three daughters all of this place. The funeral was held
from the M.E. church Tuesday at one o'clock conducted by Rev.Camp. Those
from out of town who attended the funeral were the deceased's brother, Geo.
Cooley and daughetrs of Adeline, Illinois, his sister, Mrs. Stuckenburg and
her son of Byron, Illinois and Mrs. Cooley's brother and sister, Mr. and
Mrs. Heiston and Mrs. Breaw of Harvy, Illinois.
We thank our many friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted us during the
brief illness and death of our beloved husband and father. Mrs. John Cooley
and Family.
*Any spelling errors have been left as were printed

Family links:
Parents:
  John B Cooley (1815 - 1892)
  Maria Cooley (1814 - 1887)
Spouse: Mary Francis Hiestand Cooley (1848 - 1929)
Children:
  Elda Viola Cooley Stout (1886 - 1972)*
*Calculated relationship
Note: veteran of Civil War, Co.K, 15th Illinois infantry
Burial: Washington Township Cemetery, Morrison, Grundy County, Iowa, USA
Created by: Stacey
Record added: Oct 07, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 77789405
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mary Francis Hiestand Cooley
Birth: Nov. 7, 1848; Leaf River, Ogle County, Illinois, USA
Death: May 10, 1929; Fort Dodge, Webster County, Iowa, USA
Married: 06 June 1870 La Salle County, Illinois
Mother of:
  Alonzo B.
  Etta M.
  Arthur F.
  Roy L.
  Elda V.

Small note on family being called to Ft. Dodge because mother Mary Cooley
was ill, and Mary Cooley's obit. Appeared in The Grundy Register May 23,
1929

Morrison news:
A.B. Cooley, Lynn Book and Owen Eisenhouer were called to Ft. Dodge last
Wednesday by the serious illness of Mr. Cooley's mother, Mrs. Mary Cooley.
*************************************
Obit: appearing same day as above

Mrs. Mary Cooley, an old time resident of this place, died at the home of
her daughter, Mrs. Ed Stout, at Ft. Dodge Friday. Mrs. Cooley had been at
the Soldiers home at Marshalltwon the past year or more, and had left there
several weeks ago to stay at her daughter's, Mrs. Stout.
The body was brought here for burial Tuesday by her son, Arthur Cooley, and
funeral was held at the Presbyterian church Tuesday afternoon, conducted by
Rev. Prescott of M.E. church of Reinbeck. Interment took place in the
cemetery south of town.
Those who were here from a distance to attend the funeral were Mr. and Mrs.
Peter Baasch and Mrs. Heltibridge of near Allice church; Ross Lynch Grundy
Center, Mr. and Mrs. Jeff Hood and son of Dike, Harry Cooley and his mothers
sister of near Watertown, S.D. Harry is a grandson of the deceased. Also
present were Arthur Cooley and son, Carroll and Miss. Katherine Dinley of
Freeport, Illinois, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Stout and son, Harold Ft. Dodge; Owen
Eisenhouer, Reinbeck; Mr and Mrs. Ralph Geiter, Grundy Center.

Family links:
Parents:
  Jacob Hiestand (1824 - 1889)
  Lucinda Rhinehart Hiestand (1826 - 1880)

Spouse: John William Cooley (1846 - 1903)*

Children:
  Elda Viola Cooley Stout (1886 - 1972)*
*Calculated relationship
Burial: Washington Township Cemetery, Morrison, Grundy County, Iowa, USA
Created by: Stacey
Record added: Oct 07, 2011
Find A Grave Memorial# 77789781
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John B Cooley
Birth: Jan. 29, 1815; z-*Down, Ireland
Death: Jan. 21, 1892; Adeline, Ogle County, Illinois, USA

Forreston Herald 30 January 1892
DIED-At the residence of his son in law, Conrad Stukenberg, in Adeline,
Thursday, January 21, 1892, and buried in Adeline Cemetery, Sunday, the
24th, John B. Cooley. He was born in County Down, Ireland, January 29, 1815
and died aged 76 years, 11 months and 22 days. He was of a family of three
children, two sons and one daughter. Alexander, the youngest brother, is
still living in Ireland.
He left his native land on May 19th, 1837 and arrived in America the
following month. After spending a few months in Pennsylvania, he concluded
to go south as far as Vicksburg, Mississippi. Becoming disgusted with
American slavery as developed there, he came up the Mississippi River,
landing on the Illinois side of St. Louis, where he spent the winter of
1837-38'. Learning of the prevalence of the ague in that section, he came up
the Mississippi to Savanna, Ill, arriving there 01 April 1838.
In the company of an Englishman he walked over to Buffalo Grove, from there
he started toward West Grove. On his way, he met Jacob Myers in a wagon and
obtained the privileges of riding to West Grove. Mr. Myers was the first man
he met in Ogle County. He was well known in and around Mt. Morris. Mr.
Cooley hauled stone and attended the masons during the erection of the first
seminary building, "Old Sandstone". On the 30th of January 1845, he was
wedded to Miss Maria Brown, who proceed him to the grave August 10, 1887. He
leaves four children, three sons and one daughter, John W. of Morrison,
Iowa, George E. of this town, Lewis H. of Westfield, Illinois and Mrs. Anna
Stukenberg of Adeline..all of whom attended the burial. He leaves fourteen
grandchildren. Father Cooley joined the church of the United Brethren in
Christ 46 years ago and remained a consistent member until death. He will be
greatly missed by the church and community. Rev. S.J.Graham, U.B minister,
preached the funeral sermon. Quite a number of old settlers and others from
Freeport, Mt. Morris, Forreston, Leaf River, etc were present. The following
are the names and dates of coming to Ogle County of the pall bearers:
Michael Bovey, 37' John F. Blair, 37', John McFarland, 39', Wm. C. Baker,
40' Henry Olmholtz, 40' Joseph Fossler, 40'.

Family links:
Spouse: Maria Cooley (1814 - 1887)*
Children:
  John William Cooley (1846 - 1903)*
*Calculated relationship
Burial: Adeline Cemetery, Adeline, Ogle County, Illinois, USA
Maintained by: Stacey
Originally Created by: Ben Jacobson
Record added: Jun 22, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 27750308
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Maria Cooley
Birth: Oct. 21, 1814; Washington County, Maryland, USA
Death: Aug. 10, 1887; Adeline, Ogle County, Illinois, USA

Forreston Herald, Saturday, August 20 1887

Maria Brown was born in the state of Maryland, October 21, 1814. She spent
nearly 25 years of her life in Washington County, that state. In the summer
of 1839, in company with Phillip Sprecher and family, she came to the state
of Illinois, arriving at Mt. Morris, July 03, 1839. Nearly six years of her
life was spent in hard earnest toil in the kitchen, sewing room and in Rock
River Seminary. But, true to the duties of life, she was married to John B.
Cooley, January 30, 1845. The first two years of this union were spent near
the residence of John Coffman, south of Mt. Morris: during which time, John
W. Cooley, the eldest child was born.
Early in the year 1847 the family moved to the old homestead one mile south
of Adeline. Here was founded a new home, a Christian home-the strength of
nations. This home was permitted to exist for more than 40 years. In it,
four children have been reared, all of whom are living. But like many homes,
this one has been broken. The mother, the queen of the home, has left her
throne. She has gone away. They say she is dead. She ceased to breathe
August 10, 1887, aged 72 years, 9 months and 19 days. But do not say that
she is dead. No, she but stepped from her earthly throne, dropped her robe
of flesh, pushed by the veil and went into the beyond. There she is, with
the help of her Master, assisting in beautifying a better home-an ideal
home-for her's was an ideal home. But in this world of sin she could not
reach that ideal. But now she will meet her ideal and may every member of
the home, of which she was queen, be prepared to meet mother in that new,
that heavenly home, her ideal home. No, do not say that mother is dead; she
only awaits at the alter of our God, the time when she will put on that
glorified robe, in which she will meet those she left in this broken home.
Then will be enjoyed the sweets of that "ideal home".
This obituary appeared in a "newsletter" called the "Religious Telescope"
for the United Brethren Church

MARIA COOLEY, wife of John B Cooley, mother of Prof. L. H. Cooley of
Westfield College, was born in the State of Maryland, and died at Adeline,
Ill., August 10th, 1887, aged 72 years, 9 months, and 19 days. Her maiden
name was Maria Brown. She came to Illinois in 1889. She was married to John
B. Cooley, January 30th, 1845. About thirty-nine years ago Bro. and Sister
Cooley were converted to Christ and Joined the United Brethren Church, of
which she was a faithful member. She died as she had lived, in peace with
God and all mankind. It can be truthfully said of her that she was one of
the good women. She leaves a husband, four children, eleven grandchildren,
and a large circle of friends to mourn, but not without the Christian's
hope.
Family links:
Spouse: John B Cooley (1815 - 1892)
Children:
  John William Cooley (1846 - 1903)*
*Calculated relationship

Inscription:
Wife of J.B. Cooley. Aged 75Y, 9M, 19D.
Burial: Adeline Cemetery, Adeline, Ogle County, Illinois, USA
Maintained by: Stacey
Originally Created by: Ben Jacobson
Record added: Jun 06, 2008
Find A Grave Memorial# 27369096