Isaac Cooley's missing children

From: Sandra Stanton <sandystanton_at_prodigy.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2012 10:57:58 -0700 (PDT)

Michael, I thought I would check Isaac's siblings to see if there was someone that didn't belong in the 1840 census an came up with this. Timothy Cooley married  in March 1833  and on the 1840 Macon county, MO census for him I find the following: 1 male under 5      --Benjamin F. born  Apr 1836 1 male 20 to 30     -- Timothy 1 female under 5   -- Rebecca  born Aug 1838 1 female 5 to 10   -- Malinda born Nov 1833 1 female 10 to 15 -- could this be Harriet daughter of Isaac? This girl would have been born between 1826 and 1830. 1 female 20 to 30 -- Lucinda The next child of Tink was Thomas Jefferson born Jan 1840 and the census date for 1840 was 1 June.  Why wasn't he on the 1840 census? Maybe that the January birth month is incorrect -- 1 check the 1900 census for him and it definitely said January.  However, I don't put much weight on what is said on the census as one doesn't know who gave the information. Plus I doubt that these people could read and write. I have a letter ready to be mailed to Missouri State Archives to check the probate records for Isaac Cooley.  I am hoping they will find guardianships for his 4 children as they were all minors at his death.  If that doesn't work I will contact Randolph County Historical Society for a researcher for hire. Sandy