Re: The William Cooleys

From: The Cooleys <lvcooley5_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 14:35:27 -0700

Found this at
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CHASTAIN/1999-08/0934443392

1.Jacob Cooley born Virginia, married Sarah (Jordan), died Greenville Co,
SC. Jacob died circa 1816, Greenville Co, SC. The only Cooley family in
the Virgiania census of 1785 was Jacob Cooley in Pittsylvania County. He is
enumerated with 7 persons in his household. The abstracts of Henry County,
VA Deed Books 1 and 2 page 506 show the following concerning Jacob, "dated
October 3, 1788; Jereard Burch of Henry County to Jacob Couly of the same,
for 16 pounds, 10 shillings sells 50 acres of land. Signed Jerard Burch,
witnesses; Achillis Ballinger, Joseph Gravely, George Phillips. Proved April
27 1789." Other Cooley references in Henry County include James Cooley and
wife Ann and John Cooley.

Probably a dead end but thought it might be of interest for a possible
earlier Cooley-Ballinger
connection in Virginia. Also note the spelling "Couly" as another
possibility.

Jim