Re: Arthur Kiergan & family on 1850 census in Missouri

From: Michael Cooley <michael_at_newsummer.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:16:54 -0700

Sandy,

I found several references to the Cooley/Smith marriage online--much of it
from the earlier list. I think it's also in Dale Walker's letters and, of
course, the letter from Ray county to Tallant.

I think I found her son Joseph Cooley on the 1860, living with the William
Fields family:

1860 > MISSOURI > CHARITON > KEYTESVILLE TWP
Series: M653 Roll: 613 Page: 234

And looking at Kiergan's letter again, John died about age 12, which could
have made it not long after the 1850 census entry.

Mathias has patrilineal descendants living. I'd sure like to hold of the Y
chromosome for one of them. :) It would be fascinating to be able sort out
the story. I think you were close to breaking through on it in 2009 when
you asked Rick if he thought the Dorothy Cooley who married Joel Smith
could have been Mathias's mother.

-Michael

> [...]
> Also,
> can't find where I found a Dorothy Cooley marrying a Joel Smith.  Too bad
> Dorothy Kiergan died in 1851 as we might have been able to get more
> information.
>
> I have tried finding them in the 1860 census but so far no luck.

> Sent: Fri, June 22, 2012 2:38:24 PM
> Subject: Re: Arthur Kiergan & family on 1850 census in Missouri
>
> I did. :) It's just a thought. I think there's an interesting story there,
> though. If there were four sons and if the 1840 census is correct, Michael
> would have had to have been born c1840 or soon after. In which case, he
> should be shown on the 185o census, unless dead.
>
> Do you think the Dorothy Cooley/Smith marriage can slip in between
> Cornelius's death and Arthur Kiergan's birth?
>
> That the whole family is listed as "Vergin" might have been yet another
> error by the census taker. I haven't tried looking for them in 1860 yet.
> Joseph Cooley/Kiergan should be there.
>
> -Michael
>

>> I think you meant to say Mathias not Matthew.

>> Sent: Fri, June 22, 2012 11:54:00 AM
>> Subject: Re: Arthur Kiergan & family on 1850 census in Missouri
>>
>> Mary,
>>
>> Yes, the letters do take some time to sort out. And I recall the same
>> things. I think at one point he mentioned that all his half-brothers and
>> half-sisters are buried at the same cemetery, but I'd have to look at
>> that
>> again.
>>
>> I'm wondering if he had Michael and Matthew mixed up. He obviously never
>> met Matthew and may have never known the true circumstances. There's a
>> mystery there. Joseph and John took their step-father's name and Mathew
>> was adopted, apparently, by another family, and moved with his cousins
>> Oregon. Could Arthur have been lied to so as to cover up the truth, and
>> he
>> just never learned otherwise?
>>
>> Arthur's family are the only Kiergans I find at findagrave.com:
>>
>>http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSfn=&GSmn=&GSln=kiergan&GSbyrel=all&GSby=&GSdyrel=in&GSdy=&GScntry=4&GSst=26&GScnty=0&GSgrid=&df=all&GSob=n
>>

>> There are Kirgans but I don't recognize any of the names.
>>
>> -Michael
>>
>>> Benjamin E Kiergan did have a widow in 1865 who applied for his CW
>>> pension:
>>>
>>> Kiergan, Benjamin E.
>>> Widow:  Kiergan, Frances E.
>>> Minor: Baker, Joseph, Gdn
>>> Service:  F 44 MO Inf
>>> Date of filings:
>>> 1865, Mar 31, Widow, Application: 88026; Certificate No.: 75.295
>>> 1867, Nov 13, Minor, Application No.: 154516; Certificate No.: 120.889
>>>
>>> Didn't Arthur Kiergan write that after his mother's death, that he
>>> lived
>>> with his Grandmother Elizabeth (White) Cooley for a few years?  In his
>>> letter of 27 Apr 1932 he wrote that his father remarried after
>>> death.  (I read the letters and got lost - so willl have to work on
>>> them