Re: Matthews descendent & yDNA

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 21:45:16 -0700

Here is what I found on Mathis/Matthews - although it is not all that I
found previously, since I don't have a Perrin yet!:

History of the Mathis Family

By ROGER ALLEN
Bulloch Genealogy by Roger Allen
Mathis clan makes move to Bulloch

    Many in Bulloch County recognize that the Mathis’ and Matthews’ families
were some of the first to settle in the area. Their first ancestor, as far
as I have been able to ascertain, would be Robert Edward Mathis. He came
from the small Welsh town of Mathias. Robert was born in 1640, and married
Sarah Bishop. They had two children: James Ezekiel Mathis, born in 1670 and
Edmund Mathis, born in 1675.

    Ezekiel married Elizabeth Boddie in 1714, and they had seven children:
Sarah, Mary, Enos, Unity, Moses, Edmund R.S. and Elizabeth. Their family
sailed from Liverpool in August of 1720. His father, Robert, may have
accompanied him, as it is reported that two Mathis families sailed for
Jamestown, Va., arriving in November of 1720.

    Records show that a Robert Mathis went to northern Pennsylvania, and
Edmund stayed in Virginia. Edmund R.S. (as he is known to Genealogists) was
born in 1720 in the Isle of Wight area of Virginia. He is considered to be
the first American ancestor of the Bulloch County Mathis families.

    In Virginia, there were several new ways the family name was being
spelled: Matthias, Matthis, Mathews, and Matthews. Edmund R.S. married Mary
Mollie Price, and it is suspected at least one other woman whose name has
not survived. Mary eloped with Edmund after her father refused to give his
consent. She rode some 650 miles with Edmund to the place that became their
new home: Taylor Bridge Township in North Carolina.

    Edmund is said to have had at least one other wife and had a total of 22
children, not all of whom made it to childhood (as many as five are said to
have died in infancy). Those said to be Edmund’s children are: Edmund Jr.,
Edmund III, Elizabeth, Esther, Ezekiel Jr., Harmon, Rice, Jemima, Lazarus,
Mary Ann, Olive, Oliver, Sarah, James, Tomsin (or Tomzin), Sabra, Zacheus,
Edith (also called Eady or Edah), John, Annie and Thomas, along with several
whose names are unknown.

    Edmond served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War from 1776 to 1778.
He (apparently) was his company’s fiddler and served under Captain Turner in
the Duplin County Militia (part of which later became Sampson County).
Several of his sons are also listed as having served under Captain Turner,
whose company was actually mustered at the Mathis plantation. Edmund Jr.
served as the Justice of the Peace for several years in Duplin County, N.C.

    He built a big plantation at the Six Runs Branch of the Black River. He
quickly established himself as the owner of the largest naval stores
business in the Wilmington, N.C. area, shipping tar, pitch, turpentine and
produce by raft to Wilmington. While on business he traveled to Georgia and
decided to settle in Bulloch County, establishing the BC branch of the
Mathis clan. Edmund died and was buried in Duplin County in 1783.

    Edmund’s son Rice was born in 1754 and married Civility (or Civil) Goff
in 1773. They had six children: sons, John (born in 1774), Edmund (born in
1776) and James (born in 1786); and three daughters, whose names are not
known. Rice died in Duplin County, N.C. in 1793.

    Rice’s son John married Phoebe Alderman, and after she died, married
Susannah Edmondson. Some researchers say that Edmund also married Susannah’s
sister, Nancy, after she died, and that as many as 11 of the children may be
hers. John and his wives had a total of 23 children. They were David, James,
Rice, Neil, Thomas, Civil, Jemima, Miles, Elizabeth, Riley, Rebecca, Nancy,
Phoebe, John, Matthew, Sarah, Pollie, Martha, Edmond, Susannah, Henry M.,
Hiram Monk and Saleta Ann.

     John and his wives moved from North Carolina to Bulloch County, Ga., in
1803. Here, John served as the Justice of the Inferior Court in Captain Fred
Williams’ District of BC, and then as the Sheriff of BC from 1816 until 1822
and from 1825 through 1826. Eventually, John and some of his family moved to
Lowndes County. Many of his children, however, stayed behind in Bulloch
County.

    Rice’s son Edmund married Unity Register and they had four children:
Bunyan (born in 1800), John (born in 1802), Tyre (born in 1810) and Nancy
(born in 1812). They settled in Bulloch County for a while, and then some of
them moved (apparently) first to Appling and then to Lowndes County.

    Rice’s third son, James, married Rhoda Monk, and they had at least seven
children: Wealthy, Pollie, Phoebe, Elizabeth, John, Mahlon and James W.
While they spent time in Bulloch, they lived first in Appling, and then
Lowndes County, Ga.

    You can E-mail comments to Roger at roger dodger53_at_hotmail.com
http://www.statesboroherald.com/news/article/ 5263
AprilPrice45added this on 18 Jan 2010

[The above story is attached to Thomasina "Tomzin" Mathis]:
Thomasina 'Tomzin' Mathis
Birth ABT 1703 in New Hanover Co., NC
Death 1768 in , New Hanover, North Carolina, USA
  Married Rice Price III abt 1716 in New Hanover Co., NC
Rice Price III
Birth 1680 in Virginia
Death 17 SEP 1756 in New Hanover Co., NC

RICE PRICE b. 1680-1690 Cardiff, Glamorshire,Wales. d. 1753 Lunenburg Co VA
m. (1) ELIZABETH
m. (2) THOMASINA (TOMZIN) MATHIS 1718 New Hanover Co NC b. 1703 New Haven Ct
d. 1768

WILL: September 27 1756. Sons: Richard, James Edmond (to each is bequeathed
negroes). Wife and Executrix: Tomzin. Executor: Richard Price. Witness:
John Rogers, Henry Harker, Wm Pearse. Clerk of the court Ja. Moran

Children of Rice and Elizabeth
        RICE PRICE JR
         JOHN PRICE b. 1715 d. Jan 1802

Children of Rice and Tomasina
         JAMES PRICE b. 1719 d. 1795
         EDWARD PRICE ** b. 1721 d. May 28 1789
         RICHARD PRICE b. 1724
         MARY (MOLLY) PRICE b. 1725 d. 1813
         JOHN PRICE b. 1726 New Hanover Co NC
         RICE PRICE b. 1730 New Hanover Co NC d. 1790 Johnston Co NC
         EDMOND PRICE b. 1731 New Hanover Co NC
AprilPrice45added this on 19 Oct 2009
gwymoytoyoriginally submitted this on 13 Oct 2008

Rice (Rees) Price Will
   The Will of Rice Price preserved in the Papers from the Office of
Secretary of State, NC, Sept 27, 1756 bequeaths to his sons, Richard, James
and Edmund negroes. Wife and Executrix: Tomzin. Executor: Richard Price.
Witnesses: John Rogers, Henry Harker, W,. Pearse. Clerk of the Court: Ja.
Moran He does not give Mary Price Mathis as his daughter. Mary was witness
to her brother James Price' s Will. Signed her name as Mary Price; when the
will was probated or proven in court by Mary Price, she signed her name as
Mary Mathis. The will was proven in court Mar, 1776 (the will was made in
1765). Also in the will it states:lastly I nominate & appoint my wife Sarah
Price, my bother Thomas Price executors of this last Will and Testament.This
info came from Michelle King

AprilPrice45added this on 23 Apr 2008
mamacool92originally submitted this to Price Family Tree on 18 Mar 2008

Mary C.