Old Bailey Court Records for John Cooley & Alexander M'Donald, 1746 & 1753

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 13:30:22 -0700

I didn't see these on Michael's website, so thought I would send them to
everyone:

These records found on this website:
http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/forms/formMain.jsp

Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 18th July 1753, page 4.

This image is reproduced by permission of Harvard University Library from
the microfilm, "The Old Bailey Proceedings", (Harvester Microform, a former
imprint of the Gale Group, 1983). Commercial use is prohibited without
permission of the owner of the original.

Number 319. (M.) John Cooley, was indicted for stealing one silver spoon,
value 10 S. the goods of John Turner, June 25. * Guilty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

John Cooley, Theft > grand larceny, 18th July 1753.

Reference Number: t17530718-6
Offence: Theft > grand larceny
Verdict: Guilty
Punishment: Transportation

319. (M.) John Cooley , was indicted for stealing one silver spoon, value 10
s. the goods of John Turner , June 25 . * Guilty .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Bailey Proceedings punishment summary, 18th July 1753.

Reference Number: s17530718-1

The trials being ended, the court proceeded to give judgment as follows:

Received Sentence of Death 8.
John Stockdale , Christopher Johnson, William Peers , Ann Robertson ,
Milicent Clisby, Thomas Buckmore , James Williams , and Thomas Twinbrow .

Transportation for 7 Years 24.
Mary Fish , Philip Riley , Richard Glover, Thomas Smith , John Wiggins, John
Jarvis, Richard Lightfoot , Thomas Richardson , Edward Harding , John
Holstop , Daniel Putten , Thomas Miller , William Owens , John Beverly, John
Cooley , Thomas Johnson, William Milliner , Ann Forrister , James Toft ,
James Narder , Samuel Barnfather , Sarah Standwich , Sarah Gaiver, and
Carbery Hailey.

Branded 3.
Esther Taylor , Sarah Perkins , and John Forrest .

Whipt 2.
Margaret Richards and Robert Ellis .

Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 9th April 1746, page 9.

This image is reproduced by permission of Harvard University Library from
the microfilm, "The Old Bailey Proceedings", (Harvester Microform, a former
imprint of the Gale Group, 1983). Commercial use is prohibited without
permission of the owner of the original.

John Cooley, Elizabeth Jones, Theft > grand larceny, Theft > receiving, 9th
April 1746.

Reference Number: t17460409-14
Offences: Theft > grand larceny; Theft > receiving
Verdicts: Guilty
Punishments: Transportation; Corporal > whipping

146, 147. John Cooley was indicted for stealing one Linnen Shift and 37 s.
in Money ; and Elizabeth Jones was likewise indicted as an Accessory, for
receiving the Shift, and 15 s. of the Money, knowing them to be stole ; the
Property of .

Q. (to Jane Fisher .) What do you know of the Prisoner John Cooley ?

Jane Fisher . I liv'd with Mr. Dikins, and the Prisoner was an Errand-Boy .

Q. What do you know of his taking this Shift and Money?

Fisher. The Shift was found upon the Woman's Back, before Justice De Veil.

Q. What Woman?

Fisher. That Woman, the Prisoner, Elizabeth Jones .

Q. What do you know of the Boy's taking either the Shift or the Money?

Fisher. He own'd he took it.

Q. Did he own he took the 30 s.

Fisher. Yes, Sir.

Q. Where did he take this out from?

Fisher. Out of Dikins's House.

Q. And what did he do with it?

Fisher. He gave Part of it to that Woman, the Prisoner.

Q. And what did she say?

Fisher. She made very trifling Excuses when it was taken from her.

Q. Do you know any Thing more?

Fisher. She (the Prisoner) said that the poor Woman, down in the Bakehouse,
had it, and gave it to her.

Q. Did she own she had it from the Boy?

Fisher. Yes, she own'd it.

Q. (to Anne Garret .) What do you know of this?

Garret. As to the Money, I know nothing of the Matter; but saw the Shift
that was taken off the Prisoner's Back, that this young Woman, the Witness,
swore too.

Court. (to the Prisoner.) What have you to say for yourself?

Prisoner. Please you, my Lord, this Boy was Errand-Boy at that House, and I
told Things at the Door; and he brought me this Shift, and said he found it,
and I gave him sixpence for it.

Q. How came you to buy such a Thing? What was this Shift?

Prisoner. It was but a Rag, my Lord.

Q. (to John Cooley , Prisoner.) Have you any Witnesses to your Character?
Have you any Thing to say for yourself?

Prisoner. I never had any Thing of Jones for the Shift.

Q. (to Sarah Simson . Well, What do you say?

Simson. Please your Lordship, I was present when the Boy brought the Shift:
He said he had found an old Shift; if she would have it she might; and she
gave him Sixpence for it, and a Pennyworth of Oysters, I think, but I am not
positive.

Q. Have you any Thing farther?

Simson. Please you, my Lord, I have known the Prisoner ( Elizabeth Jones )
these sixteen Years, and have lodg'd with her four Years within a Trifle.

Q. What Business does she follow?

Simpson. She us'd to go out a Charing 'till she set up this Business of
selling of Fish and Oysters.

John Cooley .

Guilty .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 9th April 1746, page 10.

This image is reproduced by permission of Harvard University Library from
the microfilm, "The Old Bailey Proceedings", (Harvester Microform, a former
imprint of the Gale Group, 1983). Commercial use is prohibited without
permission of the owner of the original.

Old Bailey Proceedings punishment summary, 9th April 1746.

Reference Number: s17460409-1

The Trials being ended, the Court proceeded to give Judgment as follows.

Receiv'd Sentence of Death 1.
Matthew Henderson , 193.

Receiv'd Sentence of Transportation for 7 Years, 35.
Eleanor Keith 130
Mary Field 131
Hester Summerton 133
Anne Darby 136
Mary Harris 138
Jane Carter 139
Mary Harris 141
Margaret Hudlas 142
John Webb 144
John Cooley 146
Sarah Wade 148
James O Marsh 152
Catherine O Marsh 153
Hester Hussey 154
Anne Debidy 158
John Bramston 159
John Farley 160
John Hurst 162
Anne Thompson 169
Elizabeth Foot 166
Robert Overbury 168
James Bullock 172
Elizabeth Lanes 174
Mary Wright 175
William Warden 176
Mary Carter 177
John Guson 178
Sarah Hobbs 180
George Steers 184
Anne Murphy 188
Elizabeth Edwards 189
William Hopwood 192
Mary Bell 150
Eleanor Bennett 164
Anne Smith 165

To be Transported for 14 Years, 3.
Robert O Marsh 152
Thomas O Marsh 153
Daniel Miller 149

To be Whipp'd 4.
William Pattree 140
William Hutchison 145
Elizabeth Jones 147
Edward Halsey 173
Burnt in the Hand, 2.
Edward Parker 132
Alexander Patte 161

The Rebel Prisoners taken at Carlisle, and committed for High Treason, were
order'd to remain.

Alexander M'Donald, Theft > other, 7th June 1753.

Reference Number: t17530607-37
Offence: Theft > other
Verdict: Guilty
Punishment: Transportation

307. (M.) Alexander M'Donald , was indicted for stealing 27 pair of worsted
stockings, 5 pair of thread stockings, 10 pair of cotton stockings, 6 silk
handkerchiefs, 100 yards of linnen cloath, 11 yards of muslin, and one
dimity waistcoat , the goods of William Erwin , May 12 . ++

William Erwin . I live at Hounslow ; the prisoner was my servant to carry
for me ; I am a Scotch pedlar . On the 11th of last month I was coming to
London, and left some goods at Brentford, I order'd the prisoner to bring
some of them to me to the Castle at Hammersmith ; he did not come; he took
the goods I had left there, and others I had left at Hounslow, which were in
the room where he lay, and went off. The goods mention'd in the indictment
were the goods he took from the 2 places, (mention'd them over.) He and the
goods being missing, I advertised him, and them he was taken with the goods
upon him at Morpesh ; I sent the warrant after him, he was brought up to
London, and the goods too ; I have got them all. (Produc'd in court, and
depos'd to) I took the prisoner before my Lord-Mayor, he confess'd taking
the goods; the waistcoat was found on his back.

The prisoner had nothing to say for himself.

Guilty .
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Bailey Proceedings punishment summary, 7th June 1753.

Reference Number: s17530607-1

The trials being ended, the court proceeded to give judgment as follows:

Received sentence of death, 7.
William Corbee , Robert Davis , Thomas Cullingham , Ann Ellis , John Ayliff
, Peter Tickner , and Simon Smith .

Transported for 14 years, 1.
Esther Onyon .

Transported for 7 years, 20.
Thomas Onyon , William Newman , John Cornhill , Docia Fife , William
Middleton , Andrew Johnson , Jane Brook , Charles Rex , Robert Birt , Mary
Perkins , John Freeman , John Cook , Josiah Barnes , Mary M'Daniel ,
Elizabeth Sellwood , Martha Atkins , Edward Smith , Alexander M'Donald ,
John Underwood , and John Holloway .

Branded, 2.
Ann Cypherroot and John Stokes

I know this is long - but I wanted to show all persons tried on the same
dates.

Mary Cooley