Tempey Cooley & Theodosia "Docia" & William Cunningham; Elizabeth Cooley White

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 23:17:20 -0700

I am confused as to the marriage record for Tempey Cooley:

Missouri Marriage Records, 1805-2002
Name: Tempey Cooley
Marriage Date: 4 Feb 1819
Marriage County: Howard
Spouse Name: William Cuningham

Theodosia’s Father James Cooley’s will in ?1822/1824 lists Docia & William
Cunningham as heirs.

Joseph Cooley had a daughter named Tempey Cooley – so I thought the marriage
for Tempey Cooley & William Cunningham was Joseph’s daughter...Does this
above marriage mean that Theodosia “Docia” was also called “Tempey”? OR Did
Docia & Tempey both marry William Cunningham???

    This information was in a file sent to me by Charles Cooley. Tom
Alexander is the owner & researcher of the file - and he gave his permission
to share the file, "I would be glad for you to share the information on our
family with anyone who is interested."

From the file:

"The following is an article published in "Early Days in the West Along the
Missouri One Hundred Years Ago" by Judge Joseph Thorp. It was published in
1924 and I found it at the Mid Continent Public Library in Kansas City, MO -
Call Letter 977.8T 398:

WEDDING UNDER A TREE

  We were not behind in matrimonial alliances and sometimes a little romance
connected with them. A daughter of Joseph Cooley and a Mr. White engaged to
blend their two lives in one, and they called on Elder Thorp to celebrate
the nuptial bonds, and my recollection is that it was very agreeable to
their friends. They concluded to make a big thing of it, and gave general
invitation; no house being sufficient to hold the guests, they repaired to
the shade of a large white oak tree not far from Fort Cooper, and there the
marriage ceremony was performed, and the two pronounced one. She is still
living and is with one of her granddaughters in Buchanan or Platte County as
I informed.
   Her sister married Peter Wrightsman, late of our county (Clay). The
famous Dr. Cooley of Kansas City is a brother's son. Cooley's Lake is
familiar to everybody in Clay; it took its name from the family. So much
for one wedding."
        [note from me, Mary Cooley: I found Peter Wrightsman, who is
buried in Mount Zion Cemetery in Mosby, Clay Co., MO:
Name: P. Wrightsman
Death Date: 01 Sep 1866
Age: about 69 years old
Clay County, Missouri Cemetery Records, Volume II
Mount Zion Graveyard

...but when I go to Find A Grave this is the information found there:

Peter Writesman
Birth: 1799; North Carolina, USA
Death: Sep. 1, 1866; Fishing River Township, Ray County, Missouri, USA
Spouse: Mary Writesman (____-1866)
Children:
Thomas H. Writesman (1828 - 1899)
  Nancy Ann Writesman Levi (1829 - 1915)
  Amanda Jane Writesman Field (1832 - 1879)

Information under daughter Nancy Ann Writesman is this:
Nancy Ann "Masy" Writesman Levi
Birth: Apr. 24, 1829; Clay County, Missouri, USA
Death: Sep. 10, 1915; Clay County, Missouri, USA
Nancy was the daughter of Peter and MARY POLY OFFICER Writesman - buried
next to her husband James W. Levi.

{another discrepancy of the Judge Joseph Thorp's account: Dr. Cooley of
Kansas City was a half-brother to Elizabeth Cooley White.]

BACK to the information provided by Tom Alexander:

"The following is an article titled Elizabeth Cooley White by Jim Terry. As
far as I know it was not published and I don't know who Jim Terry is. This
unpublished manuscript was given to me by Ron Jones of Grants Pass, Oregon
who is a direct descendant of Joseph Cooley who married Keziah Cooley and
then from Christopher Columbus Cooley, a brother of Elizabeth Cooley White:
     Elizabeth Cooley was born in or about 1794 on Oldfield Creek in Stokes
County, North Carolina. She was the third of six children born to her
mother (name unknown) and had three sisters and two brothers: Mary (about
1791), John (Oct 8, 1793), James (about 1796), Hannah (about 1799) and
another sister (Name unknown about 1801). Her father Joseph Cooley, was a
simple farmer not possessed of much worldly wealth.
   Elizabeth and her sisters learned domestic tasks in the home while their
brothers learned about planting, harvesting and the care of livestock from
their father. The girls mastered the techniques of the clank-timbered loom;
learned to 'swingle' flax; card wool and spin as well as mending. There
were lessons in butter, soap and sugar making; cooking on an open fireplace
and baking in an out door oven. Molding candles and casting bullets were
also just a few of things Elizabeth was probably taught in her youth.
   At an early age, Elizabeth was taken by her parents to Goose Creek in
Green County, Kentucky -- about 1799 -- and they remained in the Blue Grass
state. 'In my 11th year, death visited our family and claimed my mother for
its victim, leaving six children, I being the third child,' she reminisced.
'Notwithstanding, I summed up sufficient courage to take charge of the
children which were younger than myself. I had to fill the place of both a
mother and a sister. I spun and made clothes for them and tried, in my
childish way, to teach them the ways of Truth and Life.'
   Elizabeth's mother had died about 1805, but on Feb. 10, 1807, her father,
Joseph Cooley, remarried Keziah Casey in Lincoln County, KY. An infant
half-sister, Evaline Cooley was born on December 7, 1807, followed by a baby
half-brother, Christopher Columbus Cooley, on August 6, 1809.
   Then in the spring of 1811, when Elizabeth was 17 years old, the Cooley
family made the arduous trek from Kentucky to the vast Louisiana Territory
and settled temporarily on Loutre Island on the Missouri River in what is
now Montgomery County, Missouri. But the real threat of Indian attacks made
a move to a more defensible area imperative. The Cooley's and other
families on the edge of the frontier wilderness soon moved upriver to
Boone's Lick Country, where Daniel Boone and his sons manufactured salt.
   'Elizabeth recounted, 'My father's wagon was the first that ever marked
the road. We had to cut our road and make our own bridges.' When the
Cooley's reached Boone's Lick, their first tasks were to plant corn and
build a cabin. Elizabeth added, 'We lived without bread from October (1811)
until corn would grist.'
   The pioneer's claim to the land was tenuous, since Boone's Lick Country
was still inhabited by Indians and settlement was not yet sanctioned by the
government -- Missouri, had not yet been organized as a territory. In the
spring of 1812, raids by the Sauk and Fox tribes left several settlers dead
and the Cooley's abandoned their homestead for safety. 'We lived in peace
one year,' said Elizabeth, 'then we had to fort for protection.'
   The Cooley's took refuge at Fort Hempstead. Elizabeth explained, 'We
forted {off and on} four years {during the War of 1812}, then peace was
made...Daniel Boone was the head commander of our fort. He and his two sons
were the first males that were ever in the state of Missouri. He was here
two years before I came to the state.' This was a real "stretcher" -- in
actuality Ben Cooper was the fort's commander. However, the young Kit
Carson (Boone's grandson), did reside in the stockade with the Cooley's.
(Daniel Boone was some 80 years old at the time and lived near St. Charles.)
   It was during the war that two additional children were added to the
Joseph Cooley family: Cassandra (born about 1812) and Harrison (born about
1814). Something else was astir also: Elizabeth was courted by William
White, a handsome young man with light hair, steel gray eyes and lean six
foot frame. The records of St. Charles, Missouri, show that William and
Elizabeth were married on July 3, 1813, by the Reverend David McLain, the
Baptist preacher at the fort. The wedding festivities evidently carried
over into the next day.
   Elizabeth remembered, 'I was married under a large oak tree on the Fourth
of July at the first picnic ever held in Missouri to William White. I
cooked my own wedding dinner; my bread was beat in a mortar; my meats were
wild meats of all kinds.' She also recounted, 'My wedding suit was not as
some might think -- it was not homespun, neither was it a pin-back. But it
was cut to suit the times...There were no pin-backs worn by our mothers them
days. The people in the fort had no room for such pin-backs.' If true to
the time, a raucous 'shivaree' followed at night.
   In August, 1813, William and Elizabeth preempted 160 acres on Sulpher
Creek adjoining Joseph Cooley's farm. 'In settling the new counties
{Missouri was now an official territory}, all that were large enough to hold
a line had to help build houses and clear,' Elizabeth said. 'I have spun
thread out of nettles all day, then piled burn brush until midnight. If
anyone thinks I haven't done enough for my country, well, tell them what
I've done.'
   Elizabeth raised a large family. Boasting, she said, 'We raised 11
children all to be grown. They are all alive but three.' Her children born
in Howard County included: Nancy (1816), Mary Ann, called Polly (1818),
Harvey (1820) and Tempy (1822). About 1825, Elizabeth and William resettled
in Clay County, Missouri, along with the Joseph Cooley family, and took a
farm in Fishing River Township near Cooley Lake (subsequently drained for
additional farmland). Here the remainder of Elizabeth's children were born:
Margaret (about 1825), Elizabeth (1830), Susan (1832), William (1836) and
John (1838).
   'We lived 12 years in Howard County', Elizabeth added, 'then moved to
Clay County, then to Andrew County, then back to Clinton County, which is
now my home {1878}. When Platte County was settled, my oldest daughter and
I were the first white females that were ever in that county.' Her father,
Joseph Cooley, died April 3, 1826.
   In his declining years, William White eventually needed constant care and
attention due to failing mental faculties -- possibly Alzheimer's. This
once dynamic and active man could barely feed himself. He applied to the
government for a military pension, but the information he provided was
confused and in error. The government turned him down. He died January 12,
1875 in Stewartsville, Missouri, leaving Elizabeth a widow.
   Speaking to the editor of the Liberty Tribune in August 1878, Elizabeth
closed her story, 'I am now in my 88th year. My husband and I lived
together for 64 years. He was then taken from me. We raised 11 children.
Is there anyone of this day that can say they have seen two of their fourth
generation? I have of mine: children, grandchildren, and great
grandchildren, and great great grandchildren are now in number, 146.'

I will look through Ron Jones information that I have and see if I can
discover who Jim Terry is/was. It is very possible that I don't have that
part of Ron's research.

I hope this makes some sense...I am half asleep!!!
Good night all!
Mary Cooley