Re: What does the "Matthews" in William Matthews Cooley mean?

From: Mary Lou Cooley <mlcooley_at_q.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:10:45 -0700

If I am following you?:

Lura Coolley Hamil in "A Story of Pioneering", page 81-82 wrote concerning William Cooley:

"Eighth Generation. Number 11211131. Son of Josias and Maria (Kimbel) Cool.

WILLIAM COOLEY--Bapt. June 6, 1757. d. 1818 in Kentucky. m. in N.C. Sarah Perry, daughter or sister of John Perry, Jr.
Issue
This Record has not been located. Probably included a son named Perrine (Parin) who went into Howard Co., Mo. in 1817.

WILLIAM COOLEY--m. 2nd. Deborah _____ who survived him. Death in Jassamine Co., Ky. At the age of twent or twenty-one William Cooley went with the Boones into the settlements on the upper Yadkin. He was one of a party of five who went with Daniel Boone into Kentucky on an exploring and hunting trip in 1769. The others were John Findlay, John Stewart, Joseph Holden, James Mooney and Boone himself. The account of the trip is in the Wilderness Trail, by Hanna, Vol. 2, page 215.

Eighth Generation. Number 11211133. Son of 2nd marriage of Josias to Margaret Mullen.

SIMEON WESTBROOK COOLEY--Bapt. June 9, 1765. m. Gertje (Charity) van Auken.
Issue
112111331 Jacobus van Auken Cooley--Born Sept. 10, 1800. Bapt. Oct. 4, 1800
112111332 David Finch Cooley--Bapt. Nov. 6, 1810.
112111333 Katy van Auken Cooley--Bapt. March 21, 1813."

This on page 80:
"William Cooley, son of Josias, and Peter Cooley, son of Wilhelmus, probably left Pennsylvania for Virginia together about 1768 as they married sisters; William marrying Sarah Perry, July 5, 1769 (John Perry, Jr., giving consent) and Peter marrying _____Perry in Virginia and remaining in the state. He was enrolled in the Virginia troops in the War of the Revolution. William was put in charge of the S.C. troops returning from Valley Forge in 1778 and James Cooley, son of Joseph and Margaret Miller of Pennsylvania, returned with him and made his home thereafter in S.C. for a time. In 1833-40 he lived in Kentucky and was on the Pensioned list of that state."

Mary Cooley